Universidad de Costa Rica

Universidad de Costa Rica
I love it here.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Lamentablemente...

...tengo que pensar en la despedida. Mañana tengo el último examen de la clase; el sábado nos dan los transcripts; el domingo me voy aunque no estoy lista.

But first, before I get too sad about leaving, I have some happy things to report about this last week in Costa Rica.  Yesterday our class took a field trip to the Guayabo National Monument (I love that name because that's the word Colombians use for hangover; but Cost Ricans use a different word, so it's not so funny to them.)  It's really the only preserved site of pre-colombian natives in the country, and since it wasn't formally excavated until the 60's, there wasn't a lot left to find beyond the foundations, walkways, and water system.  It's not huge, but the drive alone through the beautiful mountains made the trip worth it.

View from up high

The foundation for the main hut in the community, just in front of where the cacique lived

A very full bus (25 passengers!) after being rocked to sleep on the two-hour drive back to San José

Today I went with two others to an exhibit at a local museum entitled "DaVince, the Genius."  It had nothing to do with Costa Rican history or culture, but I really wanted to see it before I left, and I am so glad I did!  I went from one display to another saying "Wow."  We weren't allowed to take pictures, but I have the memories -and as strong a desire as ever to get to Italy.

As regards my sister: she is now in Houston, though nothing is scheduled yet.  Her oncologist is working to find an ENT who is used to getting cancer out of the face, so we're hoping that her surgery will take place next week.  Nothing else has been decided yet, as far as I know, but she and her family and I really appreciate all the prayers and positive energy that are sustaining her right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment