Universidad de Costa Rica

Universidad de Costa Rica
I love it here.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Por ahora: hasta luego, Costa Rica; que Dios te bendiga. ¡Pura Vida!

So today is it.  I have enjoyed such a marvelous summer of learning and growth, and I find the end bittersweet.  I'll pack my bags as soon as I finish this post so that I'm am ready to go the airport in the morning.  But I want to express one more time my gratitude to the National Spanish Exams, who made this whole experience possible for me. I know that I will be a better teacher now, and I am excited to start this school year, though I kind of wish that I didn't have to do it Wednesday already.

This morning we went to "La U," and before the last meal that we all had together, we collected our certificates and saw our transcripts before they were sealed and mailed.  Since I'm not in a degree program, my focus was more about learning than getting a grade, so I didn't really worry about my actual performance; however, when I started getting 10's (equivalent of 100) on my presentations, then I felt like I had established a high standard for myself and needed to continue to do well.  My sweet husband told me that I was always a 10 anyway, but that's another story.  I guess in the end, my professor agreed, and I just got the first A+ I've ever had in a class in my life, and it came in a six-hour graduate class at the University of Costa Rica!  I'm happy about that, but I'm still sad to have that final grade, knowing that it's over.

Here are a few pictures of my last day:

Me with my favorite professor (Even though I only had one, I still really liked him.)
Susan showing Sarita what her iPad can do;
she recorded this gruff, serious, manly voice in Spanish, which I found hilarious
Millicent and Amber filling out their exit tax forms;
I guess they're a bit more ready to leave than I am...
El profe with Dorothy and me: she's the only other older student who went out with the youngin's last night, though she bailed before we got to the dance club/karaoke bar, which was the fun part.  Even though I felt old, I had a blast. We made the house rock with Shania Twain's "Man, I Feel Like a Woman." Even the ticos were singing the refrain!

And some last shots of the country with a little commentary:
American influence at its worst: in addition to McDonald's, Burger King,  KFC, and Taco Bell, here are two other places where I refused to dine during our daily lunches out.  -I'm not saying I hate all those places, but I didn't come to another country to eat that food.  I may not have wanted more rice and black beans, but I was going to eat comida tica!
La Negrita, Patron Saint of Costa Rica, at the Mall de San Pedro, very near where I live:
"Nuestra Señora de Los Ángeles, Bendice a Costa Rica"
Yes, please, until I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment